Re: Starter problem when hot

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter problem when hot
From: Cyc10@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 00:20:00 EDT
Hi Paul and fellow listers,

I finally had a chance to check my B out.  I am storing it a couple hundred
miles from my house at a summer place.

I ran the tests and found that the voltage on the resting battery was about
12.5 V for several weeks took readings at battery posts, terminals, and at
starter solenoid after car sat several weeks.  Started car and voltage readings
read okay and the same at all these points.

At idle voltage was around 13.5 V at all these points.  Took car out for a
long ride and came back and checked voltage.  Turned car off and readings
around
12.5 (cannot remember exact amount).  Tried to start car and voltage measured
around 10.5 volts at all of the points and starter was sluggish.  Let car
cool down and all values returned to normal and it started right up.  Will keep
you advised.  I guess I will look further into the starter.

 Forgot to tell you that the car will start after getting it rolling and
engaging the clutch. I also ran a current leakage test and no leakage and the
battery checked out okay.

Cheers and thanks
Al
60 A coupe resting, 62 A MKII rd running, 65 S type 3.8 Jag resting, 70 mgb
rd running.