MGA ignition timing

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA ignition timing
From: "Rui Gigante" <rgigante@oninet.pt>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:36:33 +0100
Hi listers,

I'm just finishing the restoration of a 1960 MGA.
I drove it last weekend for the first time in 2 1/2 years (with the body on,
anyway...), no front bumper, no windscreen, no carpets or interior trim !

The engine run fine at idle, but there was a distinctive lack of power at
any rpm, with irregular running and hesitation.
Since I believe the carbs to be ok (they have been rebuilt and drove 2400 Km
in a friend's car) I've decided to check the static ignition timing last
night. The advance was a bit more than 10 degrees, so I've corrected it
according to the workshop manual to 7 degrees using cylinder 1 as reference.
The vacuum unit seems to be working by sucking on the metal pipe.

However, since it was already too late to start the engine, and being
curious as hell, I've decided to check the timing for the other cylinders,
and here's the result:

Cyl 1 - 7"
Cyl 2 - a bit more than 10" !!!
Cyl 3 - about 8"
Cyl 4 - 7"

Think can't be right. Could there be play in the distributor shaft to allow
this? Does it justify to take it off and check?
What is your experience? It's the first time I do this, so your ideas are
welcome before I start the engine ...

Best,

Rui
60 MGA GHNL98700