Re: clutch bleed wierdness

To: holtt@nacse.org
Subject: Re: clutch bleed wierdness
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:27:14 -0400
Tim,
   It's possible that the piston in clutch slave cylinder got pushed into
a previously unused part of the cylinder and got stuck there. The area
not in contact with the rubber cups can become rusty and rough.
   You might be able to put pressure on the bleed screw and force the
piston back, but I would expect that the rubber cup will be in need of
replacement.
   If this happened while the hose was connected, you could also suspect
that the hose is coming apart internally, acting as a one-way valve.
Bob

  In fact this was because the slave cyl. was getting >
> extremely extended.  It was extending, but never pulling back into
> the slave cyl.  We disconnected the hose from the slave cyl and tried
> just  pumping the clutch with a finger over that hose - and it seemed
> vent  air and then eventually fluid.  So that seems to indicate the
master
> on  down to the slave is fine.
>
> So - if there IS something wrong with the slave, what can go wrong
> with one such that they get pressure but never let off!  We opened up
the
> bleed valve when it did this, expecting that to let off the
> pressure,  but nothing.  A sign I suppose of that being clogged -
except that
> it did let out some air early when we were bleeding it.
>
> Thoughts?

Check out the new British Cars Forum: