Re: Angle Drive repair

To: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Angle Drive repair
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:40:33 -0500
Hans Duinhoven wrote:

> This is an interesting topic - I've replaced the cable 2000 miles ago.
> Since then the odometer still turns irregular, though the needle points
> almost stable.
> I suspect the internal meter needs a kind of cleaning - lubrication job.
> Nice winter job - am I on the right track?

If the Speedometer reads right, but the Odometer is irregular, it
usually means the primary drive number wheel is getting loose on the
shaft. This can cause the Odometer to stop working, normally when
trying to drive a number of wheels at once, such as when it goes from
49999 to 50000, as an example.

Repair can be difficult if you're not used to fixing these drives.

I disassemble the number wheel array and abrade the exact place on the
shaft where the primary wheel sits, then I add a tiny drop of
superglue as I reassemble it. if this isn't done correctly, it sticks
the whole array together and it will never work again.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us