RE: which top to use?

To: <CraigFaubel@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: which top to use?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:07:28 -0700
Craig:

There are actually 3 different top frame designs.  There is the gray
stowaway set from the early cars.  There are two different fold back
designs, the grey scissor type that folds towards the center of the car
and the black later design where the bow supports fold parallel with and
tight to the rear side panels.

The grey fold back frame is not a very good design and should be avoided
if possible.

>From my own experience, you need to ask yourself how you intend to use
the car.  If you intend the car to be a daily driver and that it is
likely to encounter rain, or lots of sun, then I would advise using the
late black fold back top bows as they make putting the top up and down
in the rain much easier, and you don't have to worry about damaging the
top when you shove the V8 heads in the trunk to take them to the machine
shop.

If you only intend to drive the car on weekends, then the stowaway top
when removed gives a much cleaner cockpit line and more space inside the
car.  If you ever intend to use a hard top, the stowaway is definitely
the better way to go, as it can be easily removed and stored.  Putting
up the stowaway is a bit more work, but having to store it in the trunk
is the worst part of ownership.

Either way, plunk down for a zip out rear window (which was not
originally available in the stowaway, but is now)

If you have the long green, I would absolutely recommend going for a
cloth top rather than vinyl.  It's a lot like leather seats, once you
have had it you will never go back.

For my own cars.  My pos daily driver and V8 car both have fold backs.
My 65 race car which normally runs a hard top, has a stowaway top, which
fits tidily on top of the fuel cell for when I want to take the car on
club runs, sans hardtop.

Hope this helps

Kelvin.