Re: Datsun B?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Datsun B?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:20:30 -0700
Known in the US as the Datsun 1600 Roadster (also 2000). Still see them
occasionally -- my neighbor down the block used to have one. Probably most
were sold on the west coast of the US -- Datsuns weren't marketed to the
entire country in the early 60s, and I don't know if they were in Europe at
all.

There is an "urban legend" to the effect that the car is the result of
industrial espionage; i.e. literally copied from the MGB plans, but this is
bunk. In fact, I think the Datsun hit the market first. It is however fairly
obvious that it was an attempt to tap the same market, and why not?

I recall someone on the list reported he was once told that the cylinder
head on the Datsun was interchangeable with the B-series engine, but that
seems highly improbable, and likely is just a further instance of the
legend.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149