throttle return spring

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: throttle return spring
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:08:53 -0500
The throttle spring (Moss #370-335), that I use on my throttle for
my HIF conversion on my 'B, has broken for the second time this year.
About 2000 miles this year so far.

I have the standard linkage that came with the HIFs. It seems to work
fine. The springs on the carbs are fine, and work well. I have the
'75 throttle cable (Moss #331-460). It isn't overly tight, in fact it's
a bit loose. The spring was hooked to the Lake Superior shaped lever
(Moss #373-775 unavailable) and the bottom of the heat shield where the
holes are.

There is bit of slop in the pedal before the linkage starts moving. And
there is a spot that is a hard get past. A bit of binding.

I only had one spring there, I notice the online catalog says use 2.
I replaced it with an autoparts generic spring (2 of them they aren't
as strong). I think the package said it's for a Ford.

With one spring, the return was fine. Once it broke, sometimes off
throttle it would stay up in the 2500 rpm region.

Could the binding be the issue? Or do I really need 2 springs? Or did
I do something else wrong?

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB