Re: throttle return spring

To: "Paul Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: throttle return spring
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 15:33:04 +0100
I don't really see how using more springs might stop one of them breaking,
using none might though :o)

HS carbs had three springs - one on each throttle cam and one directly on
the cable.  There should be a little free play in the cable and pedal to
prevent the butterflies from 'hanging open' on the cable.  This is one of
the many causes of not being able to reduce the idle speed to stalling
point.

The Workshop Manual appears to show a similar arrangement for HIFs but it is
not totally clear.  The Parts Lists are similarly unclear as they either
split them up into 'cable return' spring (one) and 'return spring' (two),
quote three springs, or just one, with the latter two not indicating any
change point.

There was a choke return spring of the same type as the others,  Plus
accelerator and choke return springs as part of the carbs themselves and not
the linkage between them.

You should find out if the sticking is in the pedal, cable or one or other
carb, but that in itself won't help the breakage.  That will be because of
sharp edges on the brackets wearing through them, incorrect spec i.e. being
over-stretched, or simply poor quality.  More springs (i.e. in parallel)
would help to return the system fully to idle at the expense of making a
heavier pedal, but again not reduce the likelihood of breakage.

PaulH.