Re: Throttle Shaft leakage

To: <smarc@abs.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Throttle Shaft leakage
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:24:39 +0100
If your reference to 'slight' being in quotes was an ironic reference to
'massive' then mixture could be bypassing the butterflies through the
bushings, but they would have to be very worn, yet you say you feel no slop.
Even a small amount of carb cleaner added to the mixture will alter the
idle.  My SUs had visible wobble on the shafts and yet I had no problem
reducing the idle speed to stalling.  Are you sure you've been through all
the possible causes of a high idle?  If you slacken the throttle and choke
spindle clamping screws and back off the idle and fast idle screws, then any
remaining mixture getting through is either the butterfly not seating, a
leaking poppet valve if you still have them, or indeed leakage through the
bushings.

PaulH.