Re: Forwarded: Distributor advance springs

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <difejo@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Forwarded: Distributor advance springs
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:12:31 +0100
John Twist seems to have access to some springs which he selects and tweaks
on a distributor testing machine to get the correct curve for a given
distributor.  These are not the correct springs as such, which is why he has
to tweak them, and presumably why he doesn't supply them on their own.  I'm
not aware of anyone with the correct springs, and at least one person in the
UK who claims to have them and supplies rebuilt distributors to the large
parts houses is either lying or has them but can't be bothered to fit them.

You can test your springs on-car with a timing light and the original curves
at http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_ignitionframe.htm and click on
'Distributor Curves'.  If you have an adjustable timing light this is a
doddle.  But with modern fuels, worn and replaced parts it is anyone's guess
as to whether the original figures are what is best for your engine now.

PaulH.