Oil Leaking

To: MG Mail List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, itswonderful@comcast.net
Subject: Oil Leaking
From: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:27:48 -0700
Frank,  I also have a 73.  There is no PCV valve, but air should be drawn into
the engine through the air hose running from the charcoal canister to the valve
cover.  Eventually the air is sucked into the carbs through the hose at the
front of the engine tappet cover.  Your system should have a NON vented oil
cap.

Here is the test I use.  If you DO have a non vented oil cap  then with the
engine running you should feel a slight vacuum or sucking at the end of the
hose to the charcoal canister.  If there is no vacuum or even back pressure at
the hose, then you have pressure building up in the engine.

Alternatively you could pinch off the air hose from the canister to the valve
cover and remove the oil cap while the engine is running.  Place your hand or a
sheet of paper lightly over the oil fill hole, you should feel light suction or
see the paper drawn towards the engine/ valve cover.

I do not know the condition of your engine, but blowby caused by worn piston
rings will create excess pressure in an engine.

John

Check out the new British Cars Forum: