car cover dos and don'ts

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: car cover dos and don'ts
From: "Alan J. Claffie" <aclaffie@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:18:27 -0800 (PST)
I just picked up (second-hand) a factory accessory car cover for my
non-LBC. It's not lined, feels kinda something like parachute material
and claims to be waterproof.

"Your new WeatherShield cover is manufactured with a durable fabric,
finished with the patented Nextec encapsulation process. The material
provides a high degree of protection against all weather conditions,
dust, birds and tree droppings, pollutants and salt air, while
remaining breathable and soft against any fine paint finish. It's light
weight, easy to handle, and compact to take up minimum storage space.
Best of all, it can be easily cleaned in most home washing machines and
dryers."

My question to those who have used car covers on cars that don't live
outdoors: is this safe to put directly on the car? I heard somewhere
that maybe one should put down flannel sheets or something on the car
before the cover goes on, to cut down on the cover possibly rubbing
junk into the paint if the wind picks up. Is that me just being
paranoid or having an overactive imagination or might it be sound
advice?

--
Claff
71 MGB