Re: Another weird electrical tale for the Lucas Electrical

To: <ATWEDITOR@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Another weird electrical tale for the Lucas Electrical
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:52:17 -0000
All of your symptoms point to problems either in the cranking circuit i.e.
battery post and ground connections, solenoid connections, or where the
brown wires connect to the solenoid and ignition switch.  Whilst the radio
may go through the fusebox the ignition and ignition warning light don't,
and the wheel is a red herring too.  The interior lights do go through the
fusebox, as does the horn, but the problem (interior lights going off when
the ignition is turned on) is a problem of the 12v supply *to* the fusebox
failing.  If the car occasionally goes dead when you try to crank, or you
get very slow cranking even with a good battery, then the problem is more
likely to be in the battery connections and its ground strap.  If not then
on a 72 the brown comes up from the solenoid to a sealed multi-way
connection behind the dash, then branches out from there to the fusebox and
solenoid; lighting switch; ignition switch; hazard flashers.  The interior
lights going off when the ignition is turned on points to a common point,
which is either a bad sealed connection, which I have never known of, or a
bad connection of the browns to the solenoid, which is quite often the cause
in situations like this.

PaulH.