Mallala by night

To: MGS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Mallala by night
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:35:41 +1030
Hi guys,

I am still recovering from one of my hottest days at the track ever -
and some of you wonder why our competition season runs through Winter!
We are just coming into Summer here in Australia and I can tell you now
that it was almost 110F on Saturday and certainly not a day to be
wearing a double layer racesuit, gloves and a helmet (especially sitting
in the form-up area in the sun with no top on the car)!

The cars didn't take all that well either with the older ones (cars and
drivers) not lasting the distance during the hottest part of the day.
Luckily this was a "twilight" event and things cooled off considerably
(it was still very warm) after the sun set at 8:00pm.

My results were down a bit on past performances but I put that down to
being quite sick from the heat (both me and the car).

Now, I haven't had a chance to process this footage and it seems I still
haven't mastered the art of getting night time exposures correct,
especially with the bright lights around the track, but anyway, here is
a hot lap of Mallala Motorsport Park In South Australia... at night.

The file is HUGE as you might expect (I will try to make it "skinnier"
when I get to my work machine with the right software) so I will
understand if you don't want to spend all day downloading the 30MB file :-)

Virtually a solo run with guys a long way in front of me and a fair way behind.

http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/movies/mallala271104/mal271104lap1.mov

It was hard to pick lines and braking marks first time out for the night
(soooo different than daytime) so it wasn't the fastest lap - but hey,
it was fun :-)

Enjoy!

PS Yes, at least I got rid of the wind-noise that plagued my last in-car
fimling effort - but I accidently aimed the camera high and you don't
get to see windscreen or bonnet or whatever this time.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII