Re: Mallala by night

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mallala by night
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:58:45 +1030
On 30/11/2004, at 6:30 AM, Rocky Frisco wrote:

> Eric wrote:
>
> I watched and enjoyed the video. I have a question: I can't hear any
> tyre squeal on the soundtrack. When I raced in the 60's the sound of
> the tyres squealing was a very loud constant, both in the Mini and the
> MGA. If the tyres weren't really making some serious sound, I wasn't
> going fast enough. Were you holding back, or are the newer tyres more
> quiet?

Thanks Rocky,

Good, soft, modern tyres don't squeal :-)

They may moan and groan and even roar but they rarely squea - my old
skinny, hard, cheap 175s squealed all the time whether on the btrack or
not. My Bridgestone Potenzas hang on - until they let go... and when
they let go they really let go, but still make no great noise that I
have ever heard unless I am literally sliding sideways down the tarmac
- and then that is quite noisy :-)

(yes, again, pardon the wind noise <sigh>):
http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/movies/mallala071104/oops1.MOV

Try this one for overly ambitious braking... she locks the fronts and
ploughs just before I bail out (a little bit of dirty stuff there but
not sand - and the slip makes a noise like it is slipping briefly on
sand).

http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/movies/mallala271104/mal271104off1.mov

I think what you are missing here is that there is only one truly fast
corner on this track.  The rest are REALLY hard braking, turn then
accelerate, so there is not lots of ongoing lateral forces on the tyres
and hence not lots of squealing.

Well, they are MY theories!  Frankly I haven't thought about it too
much.  The track is not hard on tyres but it is hard on brakes.  I
almost have my brakes sorted (almost) but I certainly need new tyres
for next year.

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
'85 Rover SD1 Vanden Plas