Re: radiator cover

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: radiator cover
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:43:05 -0000
I wouldn't use cardboard.  In the 70s it was popular to use aluminium foil
... until people found the edges shredded in the wind and blocked the air
filter.  I can imagine wet cardboard doing much the same and blocking them
with papier-mache :o)

And I'm sure you realise that you are not blocking the radiator, as if the
engine isn't up to temperature the thermostat should be closed and not
passing any coolant through it anyway.  What a blind does is greatly reduce
the icy blast round the engine, the surface of which makes a fairly
effective radiator in very low ambients.  Of course you should make sure you
thermostat *is* working properly, which is just one of at least nine areas
that can contribute to low heat output.  The oil cooler can also make a
significant contribution to over-cooling.

PaulH.