Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:07:22 -0800
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:22:50 -0500, Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net> wrote:
> > Before engaging first, slip it back into second to align splines then go
> > forward into first. Saves that crunch into first.
>
> I don't think you actually 'aligning' anything. The brief movement towards
> second gear uses the 2nd gear balk ring to slow down the spinning gears.
> Then the shift into first gear is easier as the gears do not have to
> suddenly cease moving.

I would agree with that comment -- I find that, if I slip into second
before first, then quite often it won't go into first. I assume the
gears are mis-aligned and stationary. I have found that, if I use
fourth rather than second to slow down the spinning gears, the chance
of it not going into first seems to be somewhat less. I cannot explain
this and my methodology of calculating the probabilities would not
stand up to scrutiny.

So, here are my thoughts:
1. an MGA or MGB has enough torque to start moving without using
first. So, if you are still moving, don't bother trying to get it into
first, just use second.
2. If you can be patient and stationary, you can merely depress the
clutch pedal, WAIT, and it will go into first without any problem.
3. If you want to get it into first in a hurry, slip it towards second
or fourth (doesn't have to go all the way into gear) before putting it
into first.

Simon