Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>, WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:32:11 -0800
I used a different down shift technique.  I say used to because I do not do
it any more - my long white beard gets caught up in the pedals.  I did not
use the clutch and would grip the gear lever firmly and move to neutral
while still keeping my foot unmoved on the accelerator.  By pausing in
neutral the revs would rise and then I would push down a gear.  Thus it was
the pause that got to correct gear meshing speed and a finer mode than
blipping the fast pedal.  Worst was the VW Microbus with long remote gear
shift mechanism.  But in the end I got it right (needless to say it was a
company bus!)

At 10:53 AM 12/27/2004, Dan DiBiase wrote:
>--- WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
>
> > The sad thing is that most of the young guys don't know what you are
> > talking about when you mention double clutching.  I've run half a race >
>with  no clutch at all after the slave blew out, just shifting by ear and
>double  clutching down - a very useful skill.
>
>While I don't 'double-clutch' I do rev match everytime I downshift in ANY
>of my cars, including my 2004 Audi A4 6-speed. It took a while to master
>this with the Audi, since it has a drive-by-wire set-up that seems to like
>to avoid revving with the clutch dis-engaged - the key is to push the gas
>pedal a little more than you would think you would have to, and you can
>match the revs perfectly. It's fun to get a seamless downshift and, as
>Bill said, a skill that is being lost. I plan to teach my oldest son next
>summer when he begins driving.
>

>=====
>Dan
>The Garden State
>'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - It's getting better all the time....
>'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
>'04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
>NAMGBR #5-2328
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dibiase/Working_MG_Gallery.html

Regards
Barrie