Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Somewhat Embarrassing Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:39:29 -0000
Over many years of BL boxes on many cars I have found that when the lever
*repeatedly* won't go into 1st due to baulking, then a quick partial
selection of 2nd and then back to first almost always does the trick.
Nothing to do with not leaving time for the gears to slow down and
everything to do with alignment.  Conversely lifting the clutch up in
neutral then down again and trying to select 1st also usually does the
trick, but occasionally it baulks again needing a third go.  Especially
because of that, but mainly because it is quicker to leave the clutch down
and partially select 2nd, that is the method I always use when it baulks at
1st.  They also baulk in reverse occasionally, in that case I think
partially selecting 1st then partially selecting 2nd, or possibly the other
way round, works, but in that case I usually do lift the clutch and try
again.  The gears on the 4-cylinder actually stop spinning very quickly,
unlike the V8 where you need to count to three after dipping the clutch and
before selecting reverse to avoid the crunch.  Not a fault on my car, it was
commented on in the original road tests.

YMMV.

PaulH.