Re: Master Cylinder

To: James Schulte <schultejim@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:39:06 -0600
All of the steel brake lines I've encountered on older MGs use flare
fittings.  The pipe doesn't seal at the threads of the nut.  It seals
because there is a sort of "gasket" rolled onto the end of the brake
line.  Unless the threads in the housing or stripped, the best, and
easiest repair, is to replace the brake line.  You can purchase a
flaring tool to reflare the existing line, but unless you plan on using
it again replacing the line is better.  Many auto parts have brake lines
with the fittings in common lengths of 12", 14", etc.  Measure how long
yours is, and buy the same length.  Just make sure the threads of the
new fitting nuts are the same as those on the B.  Make sure the area
inside the master cylinder where the line goes doesn't have any pitting
on the "seat" where the brake line flare seals.

To empty a master cylinder, I've found a basting syringe very useful.  I
keep one in the tool box for that use and other small "siphoning" jobs.

Blake