Re: MGB sway bars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB sway bars
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@net-venture.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:19:45 -0800
Paul,
MGBs seem to the work best with stiff front and limber rear suspensions. The
3/4" bar with poly bushes, negative camber A-arms, and uprated damper valves is
probably your best bet. Forget the 5/8" bar with tires that wide. The 7/8" bar
works best with a 1/2" rear bar (very hard to find), mods to your rear
suspension geometry (along with the previously mentioned front mods), and an
LSD to stop wheel spin when the rear bar lifts the unladen rear wheel under
hard cornering. It also requires reinforcing the mounting points front and
rear, since they tend to rip out of the  stock sheet metal.

You might wish to invest in a paperback book called "How to Make Your Car
Handle" by Fred Puhn. It will answer all the "Why?" questions. His Ford Pinto
example is very close to what it takes to make an MGB handle.

~Jerry