Re: MGB sway bars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB sway bars
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:35:25 EST
In a message dated 10/01/2005 9:02:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Paul,
MGBs seem to the work best with stiff front and limber rear  suspensions. The
3/4" bar with poly bushes, negative camber A-arms, and  uprated damper valves
is
probably your best bet. Forget the 5/8" bar with  tires that wide. The 7/8"
bar
works best with a 1/2" rear bar (very hard  to find),

____________________________________

I agree that  a 3/4" bar makes the most sense with today's tires (much more
grip than in the  old days).
I'd also consider upgrading to the stiffer shock  valves, with the caveat
that putting these valves in thrashed shocks usually  leads to an early demise
(of the shocks).

Anything beyond this gets into the off-road  realm, but if you do nothing
else, you'll still make a tremendous improvement in  handling.

BTW - I wouldn't bother with hard bushings for  the street unless you are
competing - the MGB GT V8 metalastics make a very nice  compromise between
original (which given the quality of replacement bushes  usually lose no time
in
trying to split and deteriorate) and a really hard bush  like Delrin, which
introduces unecessary harshness to the ride.

There is nothing wrong with compliance - I see  people making the same
mistake all the time on other cars when they buy Konis -  and set them to full
hard,
at which point their suspension has so little ability  to comply with rough
road surface that they hit some washboard and chatter off  the side of the road.

Cars set up to be really stiff just aren't that  pleasant to drive on the
street, and even though youmight feel 'racy', it isn't  worth it.

I use a 3/4" bar and stock shocks and  springs on my street MGA.

I use a 7/8" bar and 900 lb. springs and  decambered front end and stiff
shocks and 3 link rear end with Panhard, and  solid bushes etc. on the race car
and believe me, it would not be fun on the  street.

Bill