Re: Electrical Problem

To: <DMatt21502@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:57:46 -0000
First the easy one - as another has said with the ignition on bridge the
contacts on the sensor in the radiator and the fans should run.

Next the easy-ish one - yes the fuel pump should operate with the ignition
switched on.  However this will be the 2nd on position, not the first which
is only accessories.  The original SU fuel pump will only click whilst it
charges the float bowl(s) and then stop.  If the fuel pump isn't working and
you have either of the inertia switches (one electrical and one mechanical)
check these aren't tripped.

For the lights and ignition one I for once am going to say what so many
people say with electrical problems and that is 'check the ground'.
Specifically the ground that is shared by the headlights, ignition relay,
starter relay and cooling fans by the fusebox.  It seems to me that the
ground return from the headlights could be going backwards through the
ignition relay and warning light to the alternator instead of to the body.

PaulH.