RE: Buying paint?

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Buying paint?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:09:09 -0800
Simon:

Time to do a little research.  You want to find a local paint and
materials supplier.  Check with a local body shop for a start, if it is
a smaller shop they will usually point you to who supplies them.

California has very unique rules, so you will need to talk to a shop
that has the correct answers.  Some types of paint can only be legally
used for touch up as they have higher levels of volatile chemicals.  The
preferred re-paint system in California is a color coat/clear coat type
which has much lower levels of bad for you stuff.

In our town one of the main auto parts stores also handles paint and
materials.  The owner took the time to go over the types of paint
available and also what other materials would be the best to use.

To repaint the underhood areas of my two MGBs I was pointed towards a
water based primer and a two part touch up paint that was mixed to match
my paint code.  Both colors: Glacier White and Russet Brown came out
pretty close to what they were supposed to be and results were pretty
good except for a few runs from my clumsy handling of the gun.

Kelvin

Behalf