MGB 65' v6 231 conversion alt/tach problem

To: "MG List \(E-mail\)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB 65' v6 231 conversion alt/tach problem
From: "Richard Schultz" <schultz2146@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:32:32 -0600
Howdy all.  I'm hoping someone can help me with a Smith tach problem.  I
recently acquired a 65' mgb that had the 231 v6 conversion.  The vehicle was
not in running condition  (needed a engine rebuild) so I was not able to
check everything out.  Now that the engine rebuild is complete I get to
fight with the rest of the minor problems.  Which brings me to the help that
I need.

Like I said I have a Smith Tach.  The needle does not deflect at all when
engine is running at any speed.

Before I pull out my O scope and break the tach to parade rest I figured I
would ask if any of ya'll had a suggestion on what to check first.

Checked the 12VDC source that comes to the tach.  Question.  since I should
see a pulse from this 12VDC, what AC source should I be seeing from same
lead and at what freq for 1000 rpm?

Remember I have a Buick v6 231 with a new alt.

Thanks for all ya'lls help
Richard