Re: Headlight prob.

To: "dave houser" <mgs4dave@tampabay.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight prob.
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:56:06 -0000
I'd second the previous advice of replacing all the bullet connectors by the
front grill, they suffer the worst from water ingress.  Also polish the
bullets on the wiring, and assemble with Vaseline or dielectric grease.  But
on a 1980s model with uprated headlights I rewired I found the copper
strands were showing corrosion discolouration for several inches back from
the bullet.  As the bullet is only crimped on, unlike spade connectors which
are spot-welded, it is possible that the resistance is between the wire and
the bullet and hence replacing the connector will not completely solve the
problem.  On the new loom I drilled a conical depression in the end of each
bullet to reveal shiny brass from the bullet and shiny copper from the end
of the wire, and filled the depression with solder, as well as using new
connectors and Vaseline.  When assembling back sure you push the bullet past
the first physical resistance to the 2nd point of physical resistance.  If
you stop at the first only the tip is touching, the wire end of the bullet
will be very near if not outside the insulation on the connector, and it
will work loose very easily.  You can buy a bullet connector assembly tool
but I cut a notch in the ends of the handles of a pair of large pliers just
large enough to accept the wire.  Squeezing the handles of the pliers pushes
the bullets fully home very easily.

PaulH.