Re: Tie Rod Lubrication

To: "Randy Widman" <riwidman@buckeye-express.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie Rod Lubrication
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:18:18 +0100
On the steering rack?  Old grease in new boots??  90wt oil in the rack and
boots, not grease.  There was a nipple on early racks but it was for an oil
gun, not a grease gun.  Didn't stop people pumping grease in there I
suppose.  1/3rd Imperial pint, 0.4 US pint, 0.2 litre.  Some say to remove
the damper cover and dribble it in there, but I have always done it through
the big end of one of the gaiters before fixing its clamp or tie.  Squirt it
in with an oil can at the top, moving the rack slowly from side to side as
you go, but you may find it overflows out of the top before you get all of
it in.  It's not critical as long as you don't overfill, which can blow a
gaiter.

PaulH.