Re: Tie Rod Lubrication

To: riwidman@buckeye-express.com
Subject: Re: Tie Rod Lubrication
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:40:54 -0400
Randy,
   The rack prescription is for 90w oil, though it is not at all uncommon
to find that grease is inside the boots.  At one time MG fitted nipples
to the racks.  We assume that they were discontinued because people
pumped grease into them, though the intention had been that people would
pump oil into them.
   The rack holds 1/3 cup of 90w oil.   One way to do it is to fit one
boot, let down that side of the car and jack the other higher, then pour
in the oil letting it run into the rack before refitting the boot.
Another way is to fit the one boot, fit the second boot but tighten only
the large-end clamp, then use a baster or plastic syringe to inject the
oil into the second boot before tightening its small-end clamp.
   Oil will pump flow around inside the rack as you drive, distributing
itself.
Bob