Re: My clutch woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My clutch woes
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:19:43 -0500
Bob Howard wrote:

> Monte,
>    Level of oil in the transmission won't affect the way the clutch
> works, though it sure will affect the way the transmission works.
>    With respect to the clutch question---do simple things first.  Have
> someone push the pedal while you observe the clutch slave cylinder.  If
> the piston moves out 1/2 inch or so, the hydraulics are working.  If it
> does not move out, a problem is hydraulic.
>    Since there are only three parts to the hydraulics, it makes sense to
> address all at one time.  The mess is the same that way and you know that
> all possible troubles have been addressed.  Rebuild MC, rebuild slave
> cylinder, replace the rubber hose.   If these rubber bits are original,
> they are 25 years old.

This is an unorthodox fix, but I have used it a few times over the many
years I have repaired MGs and Minis: I weld a small bit of metal on the
end of the slave push-rod. This adds just enough extra push to disengage
the clutch. You have to make sure you still have clearance when the
clutch is at rest so the release bearing is not spinning all the time,
since this wears them out really quickly.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/