Re: gauge problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gauge problems
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:10:42 -0500
bernd wrote:

> I just spent a week in the mountains of western  Virginia (Mt. Rogers area)
> driving the heck out of the MGB, and abusing my body by hiking up Mt. Rogers.
> The only problem I encountered with the "B" was on Friday on my way back to
> Va. Beach where at one point I noticed that my gas gauge and temperature
> gauges were not working then about twenty minutes later they were registering
> normally again, then today the same thing happened on three separate
> occasions, they work then they don't work then they work again, did I pick up
> some electrical gremlins somewhere along the line?

Those two gauges work off a nominal 10.5 volts, which is attained by
using a temperature-driven slow oscillator in conjunction with very slow
gauge movements. Chances are this "stabilizer" is beginning to fail.

It's sometimes possible to open them up and clean the points.

I prefer the solid-state substitutes sold on eBay for around $20.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/