Re: HS4 float chamber seal

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Subject: Re: HS4 float chamber seal
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:52:56 +0930
On 25/04/2005, at 4:14 PM, Barney Gaylord wrote:

> At 03:21 AM 4/24/05 +0930, eric wrote:
>> ...l fear the 'B problem may cause me more issues.
>>
>> It seems I may need to replace the seal on the outlet pipe (to the
>> needle assembly) on the bottom of the front float chamber.  Well,
>> this is where all the fuel is pouring out.  I guess it could be
>> something more disasterous.
>
> By the book, the hose and jet is a service assembly to be replaced as
> one, but sometimes you can cheat the devil and put it back together.
> If it drips a little you have a sealing problem.  If it gushes you
> have a disconnected hose.

Ok, we may be talking about different ends of the hose.  I am talking
about the end that is bolted into the bottom of the float chamber.

I finally got a few minutes to undertake this operation just now.  Take
off the airfilters (actually one piece airfilter and backing plate -
PiperX) and By using a LITTLE torch and jamming my head down beside the
carbies I can actually see the nut on the hose.

I have taken this off - pulled the little hose out - using a bit of
hooked coathanger wire I fished out the old seal.  It is in tatters so
I guess this is probably the problem.

Right now I am waiting for a little of the fuel to evaporate before I
jam in the new seal and put the thing back together.  I guess this is
the only time I will know if I have done it right or not.

It was much easier than I was led to believe - but this is being said
before I have finished :-)

ANZAC DAY holiday here - 'let we forget!

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia