Re: Starting problem

To: <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starting problem
From: "Stuart MacMillan" <macgroup@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:25:09 -0700
This happened with my daughter's '72 GT just a month ago.  It was the
ignition switch, which had literally exploded.  Or sort of, the bakelite
circle containing all the contacts popped out of the switch partially.  In
the "on" position the gauges, etc., worked, but when turned to "start"
nothing happened, but I noticed the fuel gauge started to drop when I held
the key to "start".   We called a tow truck because it was dark, but a more
intrepid soul could have hot wired it.  $135 to Moss and an hour of work it
was fixed.

Watching the fuel gauge is the easy way to check the ignition switch without
taking off the steering cowl, witch is a fiddly bit to remove without
cracking.

Regarding the distributor wrench, I've always used a short 7/16" open end
wrench with no problem. You don't have to tighten too hard, or you'll crack
the flange on the distributor (BTDT).  If the bolt head is rounded, try to
get a better one from a recycler.

Good luck!

Stuart MacMillan

Larry wrote:

I have a friend with a starting problem on his newly acquired 72 BGT.  There
are 12 volts at the pos terminal on the coil until the starter is engaged --
then all juice is gone until the starter is disengaged again.  We tried
jumping directly from a brown wire at the fuse box with no change.  The only
way we could get it to work is to jump directly from the positive on the
battery.  Any thoughts?

Second question: has anybody ever found a distributor wrench for an LBC?

11mm, I believe -- although 7/16ths is only a bit of a sloppy fit.  Those
bolts can be a real PITA to get at.