Re: Noisy differential

To: sgorr2@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Noisy differential
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:31:39 -0400
Steve,
   My guess is pinion-related also.
   You're sure the U-joints are good and that the sliding joint  in the
drive shaft is snug?
   Was there measurable wear on the pinion shaft?   We just did three MGB
 thrust-washer replacements at a club session last week.  All three
pinion shafts were worn greater than .005, and their wear was tapered in
the area where the pinions turned.  We had two pinion shafts, so
installed them, and used again the least-worn of the others, in its
original axle.
Bob