Help my daughter go to the Glenwood Rallye

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help my daughter go to the Glenwood Rallye
From: Bill Dudley <wdudley4@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:22:40 -0600
Listers,
My daughter has a 1972 MGB Roadster. Late last Fall her car died near
her house - it sputtered and her husband reports that there was a "pop"
that came from the engine compartment.  My son in law and I determined
that the fuel pump was at fault since no fuel was being pumped when the
key was turned on..  We replaced the fuel pump and ascertained that fuel
was indeed getting to the carbs.  The car would not start so we checked
for spark - I thought it a bit weak so we have replaced the points, coil
and condenser, set the point gap and set the timing using the "static"
method.  It still won't start but now there is a strong spark.

We pulled the rocker cover to look at the position of the valves to make
sure the spark to the  #1 cylinder is coming when the valves for that
cylinder are closed and that does seem to be the case.  I checked to
compression of the #1 and #2 cylinger and they were 125 and 135
respectively.  Still won't start - won't fire at all - not a sputter. I
have squirted starting fluid into the carbs right before carnking the
engine - nothing.  I put a little gas in the cylinders and tried again-
nothing!

The Glenwood Rallye is a week away.  Any ideas of things to try would be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Dudley
Golden, CO