Re: after desmogging

To: "Oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: after desmogging
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:04:51 +0100
Backfiring on the overrun on an emissions equipped car is usually caused by
the gulp valve having failed, it is the air injection that causes it and the
gulp valve that prevents it.  Have you left any vacuum or air leaks when
removing stuff?  I'd be looking at mixture first, did you set everything
(valve clearances, plug gaps, dwell/points gap where appropriate, timing,
vacuum and centrifugal advance operation, carb air flow and mixture balance
and strength) up from first principles afterwards?  I don't think adjusting
the timing a bit will make any difference to either of those, it should be
set the same as before, which isn't to say that it should be set to the
original book figure unless you have a source of original leaded fuel, but
to the maximum advance just short of pinking at any combination of revs,
throttle opening and load.

PaulH.