RE: Reverse Lights on 64-67 MGB

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Reverse Lights on 64-67 MGB
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:37:51 -0700
Don:

The Fed '67 MGB had only two changes I'm aware of.  The headlight switch
is a round pull knob, and the mid year onward cars had the reverse
lights.  As previously noted, the replacement wiring harnesses I'm aware
of, all have the reverse light wiring included.

I don't have much time for the purists when they have comments about
re-shelled cars.  The Heritage shell is made up of panels from a variety
of years dependent on what tooling was salvageable.  It is not "correct"
for any particular year.

An original unmolested car is always wonderful to see, and there is a
place for the purists as they keep our heritage alive.  Making
modifications with no thought for the original intent of the vehicle
will IMHO reduce it's value to everyone but the owner, so it is
important to keep a goal in mind.  I fell into this trap and ended up
having to scrap a rust free MGB GT shell because I'd made too many
irreversible modifications and the car was no longer saleable.

Keeping a realistic goal in mind will allow you to create a vehicle that
is all MG, even though it is not exactly what the factory produced.  The
vision you have is very reasonable and there are a number of original
early cars that have been re-shelled this way in the UK.

The big trick is to install the dash support structure without deforming
the cowl.  This is very tricky as the best joint location is under the
windshield frame rubber and this area is unsupported.  Very careful
stitch welding is going to be needed to do the job correctly.

I'm planning on converting a GT shell, but that job is a bit easier as
the inner structure is a separate pressing which is lapped to the
windshield surround.

Kelvin Dodd