Re: oil consumption

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil consumption
From: "Bob Donahue" <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:18:15 -0500
Remember, this is a British engine designed 50 years ago. Don't expect the
low oil consumption of modern cars. IMHO - AFTER the rings have bedded in,
anything over 500 miles per quart is OK. I keep scrupulous records of gas
and oil consumption on my vehicles. My B with 130k on the odometer (with no
engine rebuild yet) gets between 500 to 1000 miles per quart. (I seem to get
worse oil consumption with highway driving.)

Did MG have a spec on oil consumption? What are you guys getting?

Once my oil consumption suddenly went to hell in a hand-basket. It turned
out that the little braided hose that goes to the oil sender was leaking. I
went through several new hoses from a popular vendor that leaked worse than
the original leaky hose! I noticed that my TD has a similar hose with the
same fittings, just a little longer. So I ordered one from Abingdon Spares,
and it has held up nicely in the B for four years now. That hose should be
dry as a bone, if not it's leaking. (Never had any trouble with the big oil
cooler hoses.)

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639