Re: oil consumption

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil consumption
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:23:28 -0500
Charles & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> My B used oil after the complete rebuild for the first 3,000 miles or
> so.  I broke the engine in on a trip from TX to CA and back, about
> 4400 miles.  I was topping it up every other day or so when on the
> road. Suddenly about half way back home it quit using oil.  I don't
> have to add oil between ~3,000 mile changes now.

I would assume this indicates a really good ring wear-in. I know of cases where
a new engine was worn-in on high-grade multiviscosity detergent oil and as a
result, never wore-in properly and still used oil after thousands of miles.

My father sometimes was known to cure this problem by slowly dumping a
half-teaspoonful of Bon Ami down the carbs at about 2,500 rpm and then, after
running the engine like this for about three or four minutes, draining the oil
and replacing it and the filter. I have never done this myself and do not
recommend it except for last-ditch situations where the only other alternative
is a complete rebuild anyway.

He did not own MGs, but did this trick on Chevrolet sixes.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/