RE: New wiring

To: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: New wiring
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:25:23 -0400
Sorry, I'm a day late on checking the list.

...One of the things I noticed as I started this is that there is an
empty bracket directly below the fuse box.  It is rectangular and about
3/4" X 1 1/2".  What belongs there?  It looks like maybe a flasher would
fit? ...

Is this the part you're looking for:
http://www.shoyer.com/mgb/pictures/mgd98-20.jpg  I had the same empty
spot on my 1980 MGB when I bought it.  It was a circuit breaker for the
fans, Moss part 131-545.  Earlier cars had an inline fuse to do the same
thing.

...I've never replaced harnesses before.  Any hints from the experienced
guys out there that might make it easier... or better yet, keep me out
of trouble? ...

I've replaced mine twice, and I did a lot better the second time.  If
you can leave the existing harness in place as much as possible, it
makes it easier.  So does removing the dash.  I cut the old harness at
the firewall and got the new one in place (wrapping it with plastic
helped keep the grime off somewhat), and then worked from the firewall
out toward the ends.  Because the connections are generally at the right
spot on the harness to attach to a given component, it's not as
difficult as it might seem.  Follow a wiring diagram and check the color
coding for the connections, and don't assume that the car was wired
correctly when you got it.

--Steve