New distributor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New distributor
From: Mike Torrusio <miket@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:06:24 -0400
After taking all your great advice, I have at least got the engine to
where it is idling at 1200 (it jumped from 800 to 1200 just by
adjusting the points); running fast on the road (you may recall I
couldn't get it over 4500 rpm -- now it will zoom right up to 5500);
and not running the temperature gauge pegged at the "H".

I looked carefully at the distributor and noticed that
1) there is now hose to the intake manifold;
2) the vacuum disk ( my description of the place where the hose would
attach) wobbles when touched and
3) the vernier for adjusting dwell (see how fast I'm learning the
lingo?) if frozen

So I bought a new distributor - which has its own interesting points.

For example, there is no vernier on the new distributor which leaves me
to wonder how best to adjust the dwell.

Also, please correct me if I am wrong (it's been so long) but I change
the timing by loosening the distributor and rotating it.  Correct?

Lastly, is there a alternate method of getting a good timing adjustment
short of a timing light?
SEARS wants $65.00 for a timing light, which I don't mind paying if I'm
going to use it often.

Suggestions?

Cordially,

Michael Torrusio, Jr.
owner of a great 1971 MGB -- my only car.
And ask those smiling Lexus owners where their car will be in 2036.