RE: New distributor

To: "Mike Torrusio" <miket@maine.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New distributor
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:17:50 -0600
I have a Sears timing light and I think it (or any other model) is a
handy and worthwhile tool to have around. But then I think that about
most all tools. It makes timing an easy task such that I probably
check/verify the timing at least once a year. There is a collar of sorts
on the distributer with a bolt that clamps it on. You just loosen it
with a 7/16" wrench so you can rotate the distributer until the timing
marks line up using the timing light.

You don't really need a timing light though. For at least five years or
so of my initial MGB ownership, I just timed by making adjustments with
the distributer position and then driving the car until I got it to
where it had the best idle and acceleration. I also tried what is called
a static timing light which essentially checked continuity of the points
when rotating the distributer but that seemed to only be good enough to
get the car close enough to start. I still ended up doing the road
tuning method afterwards. The timing light just eliminates a lot of
trail and error.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B