Re: 2 parts

To: RICHARD BOES <csrb7007@msn.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2 parts
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:56:11 -0700 (PDT)
Dick and Kyle,
Ah yes - the heater box!!
In case you haven't done so already:
1. Remove the demister tubes from inside the cockpit
where they insert into the bottom of the air diverter.
2. Disconnect the diverter control cable completely at
the control knob on the dash. Oops - it's a 79 -
control is on the console? Mine's a '74. You probably
already have it disconnected.
3. Remove top screw from bracket right at the top of
the fan box in engine bay. All other screws around the
flange removed?

Pull top of heater box away from the firewall. It may
be well sealed around the fan output hole and
firewall.

Jiggle it a bit to try and break the seal lower down
where the demister tubes went through the firewall.

After a lot of tugging and gentle persuasion, it
should come out complete with the control cable.
Remember now, no swearing!

Ask me how I know about this! Mine is out of the car,
refurbed with uprated matrix and fan motor. Eventually
it will make it's way back into the car.

The overdrive solenoid I believe takes about 1.7 amps
when initially energized, then settles down to a lower
current. Before connecting a supply to it, if you have
an ohm meter, make sure that it isn't either open
circuit or short circuit. I can't remeber the exact
resistance reading. My OD box is sitting on the floor
- I can check it if you like. If it shows a good
reading, you can try putting a 3A fuse in line to
test. The only problem is, you won't see or hear much.
I understand that late OD solenoids are pretty much
silent in operation. Check the operation of the
lockout switch with your meter. For a '79, it should
only let you engage OD in 4th gear. I had to replace
the switch on my refurbed unit and mess about with the
fibre washers to get it to operate correctly.

Good luck!
James
'74 MGB