Re: 2 parts

To: "RICHARD BOES" <csrb7007@msn.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2 parts
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:56:26 +0100
As another has said the LH OD solenoid is pretty silent, unlike the D type.
On the first application of 12v you *may* hear it hit the ball-bearing onto
its seat, but after that nothing.  De-powering relies on oil pressure to
push the ball-bearing away from its seat and hence the solenoid plunger back
into its bore, and repowering it again without that does nothing as it is
already as far as it will go.  But removal is pretty simple, then you can
manually push it into its bore, power it, and watch it centralise.  Without
that it measures about 15 ohms and takes about 800mA (i.e. less than 1 amp)
at 12v.  It isn't fused in real life and doesn't need one for a test, unless
you can't keep your wires apart.

However if it is a 79 with the gear-lever manual switch then a fuse when
back in the car is highly recommended as the wiring does chafe and if it
shorts you can lose the gearbox harness, main harness, and possibly the
whole car.  The best place for this is to insert an in-line with two short
tails terminated in standard bullets where the white/brown of the main
harness joins the white of the gearbox harness by the right-hand end of the
firewall.  A standard fuse of 17 amps rated 35 amps blow is fine, it is only
to protect the wiring which is more than capable of taking that blowing
current without damage, and you (should) have two spares in the fusebox.

PaulH.