[Fwd: Re: Freeze/core plug replacement]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Freeze/core plug replacement]
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:11:36 -0600 (MDT)
I've appreciated the comments on this.  As it turns out, I decided that
the multi piece plug with the screw system was worth trying (as outlined
on Barney's website www.mgaguru.com - and referenced by others).  It did
work better than trying to get a hammer in there.  I did have a few issues
though.

The plug I was replacing is the easiest to get to - middle plug on the
side of the block (just above the oil filter system and a little off to
one side).  It's still not easy to get a 7/8 wrench on the plug to hold
it, and when you do the wrench can move the plug around and get it out of
kilter if you aren't careful.  It's important to be pushing against the
wrench (i.e. the plug) evenly and firmly when you install one of these.

Second issue - I bought 5 of these just in case.  That was a good thing,
because when I got the first one in, I overtightened it enough that I
broke the bolt.  Then I had to remove it and install another one.  Come to
think of it, I  didn't take out broken bolt head - so I may have to remove
the plug that is in and working, and use a third one.  So if you do plan
to use one of these, have your limits on how tight you try to make it.

Phil Bates