Re: Roll bar

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roll bar
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:52:18 +0930
On 15/09/2005, at 6:12 AM, Dodd, Kelvin wrote:

> My suggestion would be that if you see an impending front or rear
> impact
> you should slew the car sideways to decrease the possibility of
> hitting
> your head on the roll bar and increase the possibility of proving that
> the bar is useful in the event of a roll over.

Ahhhh, the "melon-crusher" theory.

A few cable-ties and some tubular, high-impact foam fixes that.

Look, as I said, I have been over this before on this list but my
rollbar complies with our track requirements in that it is 60mm above
the top of my helmet when harnessed in - this makes it likely to be
of assistance in saving my skull in a rollover.  Because I am just
over 6 foot tall this means the rollbar prevents me putting the top/
hood on my car and I can't see everyone wanting to be as "brave" as
me with a year-round topless car.

I am not sure what the answer is except maybe to only wear the lap
belt so if you are going over (and rollovers in an MGB are generally
"slow") you can grab the dashboard and pull yourself down to the
passenger side of the car to avoid using your head as a pivot point!

No, I didn't invent the maneuver   - others far more daring than I
have actually used it in critical situations!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia