Re: Aluminium radiators

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Aluminium radiators
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:04:09 +0100
Modern ali radiators are usually left shiny.  I think they are a matter of
greatly reduced cost - as long as they can get one of the required size in -
rather than greater efficiency.  It is a factor of the greater efficiency of
modern *engines* that in fact radiators with *less* heat output are required
today.  However they may also have a greater density of tubes for a given
surface area, and a greater number of smaller tubes will give greater
output.  They also tend to be thinner, front to back, as each extra row of
tube front to back has progressively less effect.  I've heard tell of
plastic radiators, being an order of magnitude cheaper again.

PaulH.