Re: Differential leak

To: ramsmgb@cox.net
Subject: Re: Differential leak
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:22:40 -0400
  Heli-Coil is the name of a threaded insert for a stripped hole.   One
selects the heli-coil to fit the original bolt, then drills the hole to a
specified size, turns in the heli-coil until it's seated, then the "new"
hole is as good or better than the original.   It's a DIY job, but they
can cost little for some threads and a lot for others, and there is an
insertion tool that you might need.  Check it out and see if its cost is
reasonable. Some hardware stores will carry heli-coil, and most
auto-parts stores will have them in stock.
  Alternatives include drilling the hole and tapping for next larger
bolt, and cleaning the stripped hole of oil, then filling with JB Weld
and tapping to fit the bolt.
Bob