RE: Headlights

To: "'oliver'" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Headlights
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:26:04 -0000
Do the parking lights work when the switch is for headlamps full on?  If so,
the problem is not the on-off switch.  If not, it probably is the switch.
The switches can accumulate oxidation and yukkiness (technical term) over 30
years or so, just removing the switch, dismantling, giving the contacts all
a good clean and rub with emery paper and re-assembling can make a world of
difference, as well as being fairly easy (and free).

Otherwise I think you need to do some chasing with a voltmeter. I'd start by
removing the steering column cowling and prodding at the dip switch without
bothering to take the switch off the column.  There are wiring diagrams on
the net that colour in the wires in the colour they are (much easier than
looking at codes on a B/W picture), I find this invaluable, so much so that
I've laminated a copy so that I  can refer to it constantly without it
getting crumpled, damaged or stained!  Sorry, I can't remember off hand
where I found it...

Richard & Nancy the BGT

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If
you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in
this communication shall be legally binding.