RE: MGB Side Exhaust

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Side Exhaust
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:29:47 -0800
Steve:

I did run side exhaust on my Vintage Race MGB and V6 powered GT for a
while.

The factory ran side exhaust on at least one of the DBL licence MGB race
cars, but probably without muffler.

There is enough room to fit a short muffler and swing the exhaust so it
exits just in front of the rear wheel.  I welded a washer to the spring
hanger structure, then used a rubber strap to hang the exhaust tip.

I don't recommend it.  With only a muffler the noise from the engine has
a lot of high frequency content which is not very enjoyable that close
to your ear.

The best exhaust note seems to come from using a large tubular straight
through muffler at the back of the car.  I'm also partial to the cleaner
look of the car without the lumpy muffler under the middle.

  My two bits

Kelvin Dodd

> On the exhaust question, I can't recall seeing any such thing on a B.
I'm
> wondering where the muffler would go. I can see it on a purely racing
MG,