Faultless MGB-GT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Faultless MGB-GT
From: "Mark L. Hineline" <hineline@ocotillofield.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:46:41 -0800
My lovely wife frequently expresses an interest in having an MGB-GT,
but after years of driving (and not driving) beaters, including a
couple LBCs, she has gotten spoiled by a late model VW Jetta. Before
she would use a B-GT as a daily driver, it would have to be as
dependable as her Jetta.

I think I know how to do that, and here's my list of tasks and swaps.
This won't pass muster with the originality police, but the trick, as
ever, is to make sure that every modification can be reversed back to
stock.

My question for the mgs list: is there anything that should be added to
this list? And is there anything on the list that is superfluous?

1. Make sure that every stock part and system is in good condition. Gas
tank sealed, radiator boiled out, engine rebuilt, new clutch, all new
bearings, rear axles magnifluxed, etc. etc. etc.

2. Replace entire stock electrical system (loom, dash components) with
relays, better plugs, etc.

3. Install electronic ignition (Crane or other).

4. Install and tweak analog Bosch L-jetronic fuel injection (from Volvo
or Saab).

5. Install Optima battery

6. Meticulous attention to maintenance schedule

I'm on the fence about replacing engine-driven fan with electric, and
replacing stock shocks with aftermarket kits.

Mark Hineline